The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the 2019–20 coronavirus outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on 30 January 2020 and a pandemic on 11 March 2020. Local transmission of the disease has been recorded in many countries across all six WHO regions. Uganda confirmed her first case of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) by the health minister by Jane Ruth Aceng. Dr. Aceng said the confirmed case was a 36 year old Ugandan male who arrived from Dubai, on Saturday March 21 2020 aboard Ethiopian Airlines at 2:00am.
The major thrust of the response interventions relies on building the existing capacity that has been created over the years and taking the lessons from the recent outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease.
Increase public awareness on COVID-19 outbreak in the district
- Conduct community engagement sessions with community structures (women, youth, market vendors, transporters (boda boda, taxi, bus), hoteliers, bar owners and saloon Berbers on COVID-19 risk communication
- Support VHTs to conduct COVID 19 community engagement activities at village level
- Conduct community engagement / dialogue sessions with community structures (women, youth, market vendors, transporters (boda boda, taxi, bus),hoteliers, bar owners and saloon Berbers on COVID 19 risk communication
- Facilitate weekly risk communication sub-committee meetings
- Facilitate supervision and monitoring by the District leadership
- Orientation/engagement district, sub-county political leaders and change agents on COVID 19 prevention and control
- Improve on COVID 19 public awareness through radio programs(Talk shows and jingles)
- Conduct door to door home visits with health education on COVID19
Over 40,000 people have been reached with COVID19 epidemiologist ( How it is spread, prevention and reporting)